Aakash tablet is in the news for many reasons: firstly, its the cheapest tablet computer developed till date; secondly, its eagerly awaited yet nobody knows the exact date when it’ll come out for sale in the retail market.
The second version of Aakash tablet i.e Aakash-2 is under development and expected be out by April 2012. It would add many new features, some of the proposed improvements in Aakash-2 tablet are,
- RAM upgraded to 1Gb, presently its just 256Mb. At the present configuration, simultaneous running of heavy multiple softwares might be problematic. With improved RAM size, laptop would perform faster.
- Improvement in processor speed; it’ll go up to 800Mhz, presently its 366Mhz which is not good at all.
- The overheating problem to be solved and battery power to be boosted.
- Present version of Aakash has poor sound quality, it’ll be improved and support to all file formats would be provided in the coming Aakash-2 tablet.
- Aakash tablet has Android 2.2 but no support to andoid marketplace which means you can’t download new apps and games. The next version, Aakash-2 would provide lots of pre-installed as well as unlimited apps and games to download.
- The biggest disadvantage of Aakash tablet is the absence of inbuilt camera, but there is every possibility that Aakash-2 would come with an inbuilt camera.
- Aakash-2 will allow users to download YouTube videos directly, no need to get download links from other websites.
- And finally the best part of Aakash-2: Cost won’t go up, rather Government is looking for tweaks to cut down the price of the cheapest tablet. Present market price is Rs 3200 which might come down by 4-5% by the end of 2012.