For a website to be operational we basically need two things; a domain and a hosting. Once a domain (website) is purchased then it must be placed to a system with 24 hrs internet connectivity, called web server. Web server hosts multiple website on it, each website is allocated a space that’s termed as web hosting space, it could be 1Gb, 10Gb or unlimited as per the purchased plan.
Why web hosting is important
Website performance entirely depends on quality of web server and the hosting plan its riding on. Web hosting is important for multiple reasons as they hold all important website files, Facebook and twitter apps, database, mail settings and many more.
There are a number of services that a web host offers, here we’ll try and understand the most important aspects that should be considered while deciding a hosting plan for a website. Let’s check them one by one,
- Website performance – Performance of a website largely depends on the quality of the web server. Usually a server provides 2-3 simultaneous HTTP Connections which means 2-3 files can be downloaded from a server at a time. To download 10 files we need to make 5 connections that make a website load slowly. With an efficient web server we can speed-up the website loading time by downloading multiple files at a time.
- Server Uptime – All website files, apps, mails are hosted on the server, so their availability is important for a site. A website must be available 24×7 and throughout the year. It’s unavailability even a few minutes can do significant damage to the website search engine performance, revenue and reputation. So its utmost important to select a server with near 100 percent uptime.
- Server Security – Cyber criminals need no invitation to attack web servers and gain authorized access to server data. Highly secured servers employ efficient measure to tackle such activities while security of low cost ones are often compromised due to lack of advanced infrastructure and unreliable third party softwares. This makes security as probably the biggest thing to consider while deciding a web hosting plan for a website.
- Data Backup – Most web servers keeps backup of each and every website they hosts but you must ensure that the T & C of the hosting company describes all these conditions clearly. You won’t like losing your several Gbs of useful data within a blink of an eye.
- Customer Support – Knowing after sale service is important before you look to buy a hosting plan. There could arise many problems with a website as it might go offline, problems related to slower loading time, mail problems and others. It’s important to purchase a web host that provides a faster and satisfactory support to the customers.
- Shifting to a new server – Before purchasing a web hosting plan its important to know if and how you can shift to new server, if required in future. It’s important because there may be a time when you consider opting for better services and hence feel the requirement of shift to a new server.
Apart from these, cost and server location are some other factors that could be point to weigh before deciding a web hosting plan for a website. We’ll be updating the content very soon and include some other vital points in this regard.