An often-used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the phonebook for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IPaddresses . For example, the domain name www.example.com translates to the addresses 188.8.131.52 (IPv4) and 2620:0:2d0:200::10 (IPv6).
Having faster DNS can make your internet surfing significantly faster. Here I present you with two applications that can fetch the fastest DNS for your internet connection exclusively.
1.GRC’s DNS Benchmark:
Both perform similar functions, and I recommend that you run both of them to see whether they yield consistent results; DNS Benchmark appears to be the more comprehensive option. Just download them and run to get fastest DNS.
Warning: Don’t run any other internet application or updates during benchmarking or else you will end up having wrong results.
Configuring your PC for new faster DNS:
- Click the Start button; and in the Search box, type Network Connections and press Enter. A window will open with a list of network adapters installed on the system. The DNS settings must be configured on all of the system’s active network connections. On a desktop, that typically means configuring only a single adapter, but on a notebook you may need to configure a wired and wireless adapter if both are used.
- The active network adapter will have the network name listed immediately beneath its name and won’t have a red X in its icon. Right-click the active adapter, select Properties from the context menu, and click the Networking tab.
- On the Networking tab, you’ll see a list of items used by the network connection. In that list, highlight Internet Connection Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on the Properties button.
- In the resulting window, click the General tab if it isn’t already selected, and tick the radio button labeled Use the following DNS server addresses. Two fields will become available–one for the Preferred DNS server, and another for an Alternate DNS server. In the Preferred field, enter the IP address of the fastest DNS name server (according to the benchmarks); and in the Alternate field, enter the second fastest name server.
- Click OK in that window and OK again in the network properties window. Then close the list of network connection and restart your system.
Enjoy the speed 🙂 you’ve just configured Windows to use the fastest DNS name servers available in your area.
For any queries and help related to my tricks and tips or related to computer hardwares/softwares please comment on our Facebook page ;I will reply as soon as possible.