WordPress is the most preferred CMS for bulding a blog. If you loking to run one of your own, follow our stepwsie tutorial to get started.
Step1: Setup WordPress to web server
After purchasing a domain name and hosting space for the blog, you’ll have a username and password of your CPanel. Now do the following,
1. First download the latest version of WordPress from WordPress.org.
2. Extract the downloaded WordPress files and see the ‘wordpress’ folder inside the extracted WordPress x.x.x folder.
3. Next reach your web server using an FTP program like FileZilla, by entering the given username and password.
4. Now drag the ‘wordpress’ folder from your system to server’s ‘www’ folder. By doing so you’ll upload all WordPress files to your web server. Uploading will take some time, so be a patient.
5. Once the process completes, close FileZilla and login to your server (www.yourwebsite.com/cpanel) using the same username and password.
6. Next step is to build your database. WordPress needs a database where all blogs and data will reside.
Step2: Creating database for WordPress
1. On cPanel, first click on ‘MySQL databases’.
2. Create database with your desired name.
3. Add a user. Choose a strong password and remember it. We’ll need this in coming steps.
4. And finally add user to the database.
5. While adding you’ll be asked for control that a user has over the database. Select ‘All Privileges’ to finish the step.
6. Now its time to install WordPress and making required changes in few files.
Step3: Install WordPress
1. Once all the above mentioned steps are done. Open the ‘wordpress’ folder inside website’s root ‘www’ folder and rename the file ‘wp-config-sample.php’ to ‘wp-config.php’.
2. Next open this ‘wp-config.php’ file and enter the database name, username and password that you provided while creating the database. [Here I have used different one so don’t get confused by it]
3. Next go to yourwebsite.com/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php. Enter required information when you see a page like this.
4. Click ‘Log In’ to finish the step. Your wordpress is successfully installed and is almost ready to use.
5. You’ll be then redirected to login page. Here you can login to your WordPress to post blogs. But we have last step remaining before our blog is ready.
Step4: Run WordPress blog
1. Basically all website files are hosted inside website’s root folder ie in ‘www’ folder [www>all-website-files]. But our wordpress files are located at www>wordpress>all-website-files. So we need to make some changes to inform the server about where our files are residing.
2. To do this, just copy [not move] the index.php file from www>wordpress folder to www folder.
3. Also open the file and make changes as shown below. [Replace . with wordpress as index.php is moved to a new location]
4. Once everything is done. Your website is ready to run. Just enter your website url and see it running.