The service is already working in the US and many other western countries.
Its just started in India, but supports only selected mobile operators [Aircel, Loop Mobile, MTS, Reliance, Tata DoCoMo, Tata indicom]
Last night, I sent a few messages to my TATA Indicom number and they were successfully delivered.
Here are the steps to use this service,
- Login to Gmail and enter a phone number in the box on left-center edge of the Gmail window. Its the same box that’s used for sending invitation for chat. Click ‘send SMS’.
- A pop-up appears, just fill the name of the receiver and click ‘save’. Registration is completed now!
- Now you’ll see your friend’s(receiver) name in the friends list. To send SMS, click on the name to see the chat box.
- Type your text(SMS) and send it, just the way you send chat messages on Gmail.
- Every user is given 50 free SMS credits. After exhausting the limit, user needs to buy credit which is an interesting process.