To recommend a Facebook page to your Gmail friends, you might want to send them an invitation.
Sending page recommendation to Yahoo and Rediff contacts is much easier as compared to Gmail.
Facebook doesn’t provide a direct option to send invitation to Gmail contacts who’re active on Facebook. But there is an unorthodox way of doing this,
Exporting contacts from Gmail (in CSV format)
First we export a CSV file containing list of all Gmail contacts.
- Login to Gmail and select ‘Contacts’ option on left.
- Now click on ‘More Actions’ tab and click ‘Export’.
- Select ‘All contacts’ and ‘Outlook CSV format’. Click export to download all Gmail contacts to your computer.
Sending invitation to all Gmail contacts to like a Facebook Page
Next step is to provide this file to Facebook. Once uploaded, all your Gmail contacts will receive the invitation.
- Login to Facebook, goto your Facebook page and select ‘Invite Email contacts’ on right.
- Click ‘Other Tools’ in the box that pops-up. Click ‘Choose File’, select the recently exported Gmail contacts CSV file and click ‘Upload Contacts’.
- Facebook gets all your Gmail contacts and send them recommendation to like the Facebook page. Before sending it, you’ll be asked to see the preview of the invitation they’ll receive. View it, and press ‘Send’. That’s all, Invitation sent!!
Previously, Facebook had a simple interface to import Gmail contacts but it was later revoked when Google prevented all external services from fetching Gmail contacts of any user. That’s why we had to go the longer way to send page recommendation to Gmail contacts.