Why do you need a pen drive? For carrying files from one place to another. How about creating a portable web server right into your pen drive.
Yes, we can easily install XAMPP web server to a pen drive. The installation steps are simple and more like the usual system installation. And it works the same as a remote(or local) web server.
Here are the steps for installing web server in a pen drive,
1. First we need a USB pen drive with at least 300Mb free space. Its better to format it before using.
2. Next download XAMPP USB Lite which is a distribution for creating portable web server.
3. Now its time to install XAMPP web server that we just downloaded.
4. Select your pen drive as the installation drive. You can also make install XAMPP in a separate folder within the pen drive. Here we have selected D: drive which is letter for our Pen Drive.
5. Choose options to install and start installation. If undecided, leave the default options.
6. Installation would start now. It’ll take some time, so be patient while doing this.
7. Installation completes.
8. Once installation is completed. You’ll see a box at the bottom-right corner.
9. Click on the ‘start’ button against each service to start them. It’ll include Apache web server for PHP, MySql, FileZilla and other services.
Firewall may block the service, so unblock it when prompt appears.
10. Now open your web browser and enter localhost/xampp. This would open up the XAMPP’s homepage. Next, Choose your language as English.
11. Now your local web server is started and is ready to execute applications. All applications you develop should reside inside htdocs folder of your XAMPP installation in your pen drive.
Carry this pen drive wherever your want. Your XAMPP web server will be up and ready in minutes once you start the server after plugging the pen drive to any laptop or PC.
In our next tutorial, we’ll learn how to run web applications using XAMPP.