Here we tell you ways to get better WI-FI reception and tweaks to improve signals for faster and problem-free web experience.
Best way to place a Wi-Fi antenna
Antenna placement is pivotal in achieving better WI-FI signal. Here are some best practices to place a WI-FI antenna,
- Antenna must be put at some altitude, could be on a high shelf, balcony or on the roof. Placing it on roof, or any other open area is the best option.
- It must be placed at places where signals converge, some good places are at the center of your house/room, at the corners.
- Keep antenna away from mobile phones, television, microwaves and other electronic devices, as they can easily interfere with WI-FI signals and make them weaker.
- Place antenna away from metallic items and wires like window panes, kitchen utensils, power cords, computer cords etc.
- Keep correct angle for antenna to catch maximum signals. There shouldn’t be any hindrance from walls, and it must be placed away from your neighbour’s WI-FI router.
- Take furnitures, mirrors away from the line of antenna signals. It’s better to place them along the walls. Wooden furnitures and other small things can deviate WI-FI signals.
Tweaks to improve WI-FI reception
There are some very simple ways to make your own repeaters to boost and converge WI-FI signals onto the antenna for better reception. Here some of the most workable ones,
- Use reflectors to converge signals onto the WI-FI antenna. A simple reflector can be made with aluminium foil rolled in the shape of a funnel, this funnel can be then put over the antenna to boose WI-FI signal. You can also use cans, kitchen utensils and commonly used cylindrical materials to make a reflector. This is a proven technique that improves WI-FI reception multiple times. Here is a video that shows how this tweak amplifies WI-FI signal strength,
- Update WI-FI drivers, and install softwares to boost power of your WI-FI antenna, for improved reception. You can also use softwares that helps in detecting access points with powerful signals.
- Purchasing WI-FI repeater is a good idea as it boosts signal between your device and the router.
- Upgrading wireless standard from 802.1b or 802.1g to Wireless G or Wireless N is also a fine way of getting faster WI-FI.