TrueCrypt is a freeware that encrypts data in computer as well as external storage device like a Pen Drive. TrueCrypt security is unbreakable and data can only be read by person having a 20 character long alphanumeric password. To know more about TrueCrypt, its feature and how it works, you can refer our previous article ‘Encrypt files, folders and drives with TrueCrypt, a security even FBI can’t breach‘
In today’s tutorial, we’ll learn to encrypt pen drive data using TrueCrypt data encryption software.
Encrypting Pen drive data using TrueCrypt
1. First download TrueCrypt and install it to your computer.
2. Once the installation finishes, start TrueCrypt. Select any of the listed drive letters and click on ‘New Volume’ button at the bottom.
3. Next select the second radio button labelled ‘Encrypt a non-system partition/drive’. Here we declare that the new volume would be on a portable device such asPen Drive. Click ‘Next’.
4. Select first option labelled as ‘Standard TrueCrypt volume’ and hit ‘next’ button.
5. Now select Pen Drive partition as the a TrueType volume. Carefully follow the steps in the image below,
6. Select first option labelled ‘Create encrypted volume and format it’, and click ‘next’.
7. Select your encryption algorithm and hash algorithm. These are the highly secure algorithms in which the data will be enrypted. First time users should leave the default entries and hit ‘next’ button.
8. Volume size is the total size of your pen drive. Click ‘next’.
9. Provide a highly secure 20 character long alphanumeric password. Your password should be alphanumeric and more than 20 characters.
10. Select Yes/No option. If undecided, leave the default entry and click ‘Next’.
11. Select quick format, and hit the format button to start formatting the pen drive. Click ‘Yes’ when alert appears.
12. Your TrueCrypt volume is successfully created.
All done! We’re now ready to encrypt pen drive data.
For any queries and help related to our tricks and tips or related to computer hardwares/softwares please comment on our Facebook page; We will reply as soon as possible.