Indian Railways website for online reservation, irctc.co.in allow users to book railway ticket directly from home without lining in long queues.
In the tutorial, we see how to do online railway reservation through irctc.co.in.
[Before we start, make sure you’ve already registered with irctc and have a username and password.]
Stepwise guide to book Railway ticket online
1. First login to irctc.co.in with your username and password. Site is often busy, so login might take some time.
2. Next, enter the start and end stations. Type full name of stations if you don’t know the code. You’ll see the station code as you type. If you can’t see this, get your station code here.
Enter date of journey. Keep everything else untouched and click ‘Go’.
[Change ‘General’ to ‘Tatkal’ if you want to do a tatkal ticket]
3. You’ll see list of trains on right side. Choose desired class to see the berth availability. If berth is available, click ‘Book’.
4. Enter passenger details – name, age, sex and preferred berth. Leave everything else untouched.
Enter captcha code and click ‘Go’.
[If you only want a particular berth, say lower berth then you can check the second radio button below ‘Consider Auto Upgradation’]
5. Next re-check all the entered details and click ‘Make Payment’.
6. Select your preferred payment option. Here we’ve chosen Net Banking with SBI.
7. You’ll be taken to SBI’s netbanking portal for payment. Login with your netbanking account.
8. After successful login, you’ll be asked for payment confirmation. Click ‘confirm’ wherever asked.
9. When payment is successfully transferred, you’ll be navigated back to irctc’s website and your online railway reservation ticket will be shown.
You can either take a printout or snapshot of it and carry with you while travelling. You can also save the ticket to your computer pressing CTRL+S.
10. That’s all. Your ticket is successfully booked.