Customizing windows appearance with modification in registry values is a fine way of personalizing its look. If you’re interested in doing such thing with your own system then read on as we’ll show how to change the login screen of windows 7 system with a custom image.
We’ll tinker around with windows registry but in a less complicated manner.
Here are the steps for customizing windows 7 login screen,
- First open notepad, copy and paste the following lines,
Windows Registry Editor version 5.00 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Authentication\LogonUI\Background]"OEMBackground"=dword:00000001
Save the file with .reg extension. My file name is change-in-registry.reg, you can name anything of your choice.
- Once file is created, right click on it. Click ‘Merge’ option at the top.
- Windows will ask you for permission while making changes in eixsting registry, click ‘Yes’ when pop-up shows.
- Now select the background-image you want windows 7 login screen to customize with. The custom image must be smaller than 256 Kb in size, so compress it before using. Finally, rename the image to ‘backgrounddefault.jpg‘.
- Create a folder under ‘C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info‘. Once its created, place your image in it and you’re done!
Your default windows 7 login image is now replaced by the custom image.
- To make sure customization is done correctly, shut-down your computer and restart it again. You’ll see a different login image. Cheers!!